Thursday, October 27, 2011

GRRRR!!!

For the past couple of weeks I've been taking a self defense course. I've never really had a reason to do this in the past. No one has ever pushed the limits of my personal space but a friend felt it was good to have in my back pocket. I do go out on a lot of dates, mostly firsts, and unless I'm feeling lazy my runs are in the early predawn morning. The class met once a week for four weeks. The first week we learned punches and protective stances. Kicks were covered the second week and we went over grabs and a ground assault in the third. The fourth class was both exciting and scary. We were going to use our knowledge against an actual attack!! I at first thought this was crazy and an unnecessary use of my time but I went through with the simulation. I even went first! Boy, was I wrong. Even though I knew it was fake and the two very large guys wouldn't really hurt me I panicked and barely remembered to yell "STOP!" All I could think of was to kick 'em in their "areas". Once I had some breathing room I remembered to punch, kick, scream and all the other important stuff. They and a fellow student were nice enough to let me take a picture.

No comments: