Thursday, June 28, 2012

Oh! Sweet Baby Jesus!

Old Girl sniffing the flowers!

I got home yesterday a bit early from work and after taking the old girl for a walk I headed out for a short bike ride. Short is not what happened. Two hours and 22.5 miles later I pulled back into my drive. It was a great ride! I did get lost for a hot second, got terrified by traffic and climbed a hill I was not expecting but still, good times! (I also got a "Hey! Baby! I love you," from a random gardener.)

Um, yeah. Not so great this morning. I headed out for what was supposed to be a 4.5 mile run but ended up being 2. This is due to the fact that while I was in bed for 7.5 hours last night I only got ~5 hours of sleep. (Thank you neighbors, I hope the basketball game was worth it.) And, 2 miles was all I had time for after sleeping in 1.5 hours later than I would have normally.

After chugging along for a bit I felt pretty good. My legs were a little fatigued but I felt I was making great progress. Then I looked at my Garmin. 13:43/mile! That is not chugging along. That is walking! After seeing that my pace got marginally better but still never broke 12:00. And that's with  couple of actual walk breaks. So disappointing.

Turns out I've set up my training wrong, according to Friel. I should never do a hard bike followed by a run unless I'm doing a brick. And, even then it's set up a bit differently.

The Triathlete's Training Bible, Joe Friel
SO..... new training plan!

Subject to change
P.S. I just realized Marathon training starts Monday!!
P.PS. I might die the first couple of weeks in August!
P.P.PS. Don't run out and by this book. It's very confusing and this is the only useful thing I've found so far.

No comments: