Tuesday, September 25, 2012

What Rules?

Over the past month or two I've helped an old friend get back into the dating game. Just offering advice when asked and encouragement when needed. I did set down 3 kind of rules...
1) Don't get drunk/drunkish.
2)  Try to keep first date to 2 hours or so.
3) don't make out on first date.

After the first date it's a free for all.
Hmmm, if only I could follow my advice.

This weekend I had a first date with Kaleb. Match sends recommended profiles once a day via email, and he was in one of them. I had passed on him even though we had a lot in common. Grad degree, liberal, agnostic and same interest. He was also very attractive. There was one problem, he didn't want anymore children as he had 3 already. I, myself, am not sure I want them either but I would at least like the option. So, I passed.

A couple of days later I received a wink and an email from him and I thought I'd give it a go. Maybe there was some wiggle room on the no children, maybe there wasn't and he was such a great guy I wouldn't care. Plus, we did have a lot in common. Kaleb and I met up for drinks this past Saturday evening and after 2 hours were still in deep conversations. We then had pizza in Little Italy and another round of drinks. Four and a half hours later the conversations were still flowing and the electricity was palpable. One thing led to another and he......stayed over.......in the spare room. But, I still broke all 3 first date rules!! 

On the plus side, we're still talking, have agreed that it was the best 1st date for both of us, and are in talks for a second. My schedule at the moment is making it difficult, I'm out of town for the next 2 weekends and he lives about 45 minutes away. I am willing to make the drive, so we'll see how that goes.

Side note, Awkward Italian Guy (see awkward date in RECAP, Sept 5) is still awkward. I went out with him yesterday (2nd date) and it was just off. I think I'm going to shelve him.

No comments: